Why We Vote
Your VOTE is your VOICE
Countdown until the Election
To be eligible to vote you must….
- Be a resident of Virginia (a person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes).
- Be a U. S. Citizen.
- Be 18 years old (any person who is 17 years old and will be eighteen years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and also vote in any intervening primary or special election).
- Not be registered and plan to vote in another state.
- Not currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law.
- If convicted of a felony, your right to vote must have been restored.
Click HERE to be directed to the Virginia Department of Elections website where you can find out if you are already registered to vote. You will need to provide your First and Last name, your date of birth, the last four numbers of your Social Security Number, and the County or City where you reside.
You can click HERE or on the button above to be directed to the Virginia Department of Elections website. There you can complete all of the necessary fields required to register to vote. Deadline in Virginia to register to vote or change your address is October 15, 2018.
You may also register in person at the Voter Registrar Office:
The short answer to that question is no, you do not have to claim an affiliation to a specific political party when you register to voter. However, you will be unable to vote in a primary election if you are not registered with a party.
For an online application you will need:
- A Social Security Number; and
- A Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) customer ID number which is located on your driver license or DMV issued ID card.
If you apply in person at the Registrar office you will need:
- A Social Security Number (SSN)
Click HERE to be directed to the Virginia Department of Elections web site and complete the fields listed. When directed, select the option “I want to update my voter record” and then press the CONTINUE button.
Yes, You will need to bring some form of valid photo ID in order to vote. Some acceptable forms of ID include:
- Valid drivers license, identification card, or US Passport or Passport card
- A US military ID
- Valid student ID with a photo that was issued by a Virginia public or private school
For a COMPLETE list of acceptable forms of ID and other information about voter ID, please click on the link below.
Virginia Department of Elections website – https://www.elections.virginia.gov/voter-outreach/photo-id.html
Click HERE or the link below to be directed to the Virginia Department of Elections website to find out where your voting location is.
No, unfortunately in Virginia you are unable to register to vote on Election Day. The deadline to register to vote in the November election is October 15, 2018 and for the May election is April 9, 2019. Click HERE or the button above to register to vote.
If you will not be able to vote on Election Day, you can apply to receive an Absentee Ballot. Click HERE to be directed to the Virginia Department of Elections web site. Fill out the form and submit. On the second page select the option “I want to apply for absentee voting” and press the CONTINUE button.
Click HERE for more information about voting in Virginia.